Column by Dan Galbraith, publishing in March 23 edition of The Packer
I doubt there’s any market research to prove it, but, in reviewing recent reruns of TV sitcom “Seinfeld,” the fresh produce industry seems to be missing marketing opportunities since that show suffered its disappointing death in 1998.
Several memorable “Seinfeld” episodes put fresh produce at the top of the food chain — and top of mind for consumers watching the antics of Jerry, George, Kramer and Elaine, the latter two of whom were particularly positive as produce proponents.
As important as it was to Jerry Seinfeld’s career to find the humor in produce — a subject not used to getting a lot of laughs — it was equally vital to the produce industry to be mentioned prominently on the long-running No. 1 show in the U.S.
Although postman Newman once proclaimed steamed broccoli a “vile weed,” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJw6Z-MLyBA George never showed much interest in healthful foods except once when it appeared to enhance his sexual performance, and Jerry seemed anything but proud of it when he ordered a salad while on a date with Elaine’s cousin Holly, the show certainly added notoriety to produce.
The series’ writers allowed Kramer and Elaine to promote produce as not only a discussion topic but also a viable food option for the mainstream — and even for the “hip” (or, the “hipster doofuses,” in Kramer’s case).
Who could forget this “Seinfeld” moment? GEORGE: What’s in the BIG salad? JERRY: Big lettuce, big carrots, tomatoes like volleyballs…
The best part about produce being featured in a sitcom is I don’t think it cost the industry anything. However, if any produce associations paid Seinfeld to slip some produce references into the scripts, it couldn’t have been considered anything but money well spent.
Although I’m not seeing a lot of produce potential in the dialogues of popular sitcoms of today, such as “30 Rock” and “The Office,” perhaps it would be in the produce industry’s interest to slip Tina Fey a few Benjamin Franklins to ensure the next time she uses the line “I-want-to-go-to-there!” refers to her travels to a fruit stand or salad restaurant.
Still, I doubt the promotional value for produce would ever be more valuable than it was on “Seinfeld.” From Kramer’s radish roses, freshly prepared in his garbage-disposal-enhanced shower, to Elaine’s infatuation with the “big salad” at Monk’shttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emWKg4vKLbU, to Jerry telling Newman “You wouldn’t eat broccoli if it was deep fried in chocolate sauce,” the moments — and their untold, hidden promotional value — proved priceless.
Perhaps the most prominent produce episode, of course, involved Kramer getting banned from his favorite fruit store, Joe’s, after complaining about a bad peach in “The Fruit Stand.” It featured plantains, papayas, avocados and plums “with the red on the inside.”
Of course, there was also the insinuation that mangoes are nature’s Viagra — at least for George, who exclaims, “I feel like I got a B-12 shot. This is like a taste explosion!”
Then, of course, Kramer enlists Jerry to purchase fruit at Joe’s for him and Kramer tries to educate Jerry on the particulars of picking prime produce while standing just outside Joe’s.
JERRY: All this? It’s too much. What do you need five mangoes for?
KRAMER: I like mangoes.
JERRY: Avocado? I don’t know how to pick out an avocado.
KRAMER: Well, they gotta be soft.
JERRY: How soft?
KRAMER: Not too soft. Better too hard than too soft.
JERRY: (looking over the list) I’m not going through this every week, I tell you that right now. And what are these? Plums? What is that?
KRAMER: Yeah … now, get the ones that are red on the inside.
JERRY: Uh-huh. Well, how do I know what they look like on the inside? What do they look like on the outside?
KRAMER: Oh, and get some plantains!
JERRY: Plantains?
KRAMER: Yeah.
JERRY: What the hell is a plantain?
KRAMER: It’s part of the banana family. It’s a delicacy.
JERRY: You’re not getting any plantains!
I can’t close without this parting shot from George:
“WELL, IT WAS A BIG SALAD! AND WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IS, HOW DOES A PERSON WHO HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BIG SALAD CLAIM RESPONSIBILITY FOR THAT SALAD AND ACCEPT THE THANK-YOU UNDER FALSE PRETENSES - AH — AH? … You know, if it was a regular salad I wouldn’t have said anything. But you had to have the BIG SALAD!”http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtZ_mlNXVYU
Perhaps free produce promotion through sitcoms will come back in 2009 — or maybe it’s all just a big pipedream stuck somewhere in Seinfeld’s Bizarro World (Episode No. 137)http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcjSDZNbOs0.
Unfortunately, the Bizarro World is the only place fresh produce industry officials can readily find a muscle-bound, 4% body-fat Newman using lemon zest to top his frozen yogurt just so he’s able to choke it down.
E-mail dgalbraith@thepacker.com